Before I met my husband Erik, I was in a previous marriage for almost 10 years. No need to go into details. I was single for 5 years before meeting Erik. During that period of time, I had been in a few relationships and on a lot of dates. I distinctly remember one night after another let-down relationship, I had a long talk with God. Not just a prayer, but a long talk. I was very specific in what I said because I know how God can take something you pray for and give it to you, but not exactly the way you meant it. It was pretty much a one-sided conversation and I don't remember it word for word, but I can tell you the jist of it.
"God, we need to talk. I am asking if you can help me out because I'm kind of at my wits end. I don't wish to be alone the rest of my life, but I don't want to make the same mistakes in the future that I made in the past. So, here is a list of things I am looking for in a man and even if half of them fit, I would be appreciative.
1. Sense of humor...VERY important!
2. Nice looking, but not overly handsome.
3. Intelligent...but not so much that he makes me look stupid.
4. Big man...but not overly so. Someone like maybe Moose from the Archies.
5. oooh...maybe an ex-jock...
6. oooooh...even better...how about a foreigner?!? (this is exactly how I remember this part)
7. Likes country music, doesn't have to love it...just tolerate it.
8. MUST LOVE ANIMALS!
9. Would like similar interests like movies, books and so forth.
10. NOT AN EX OR FORMER ALCOHOLIC OR DRUG ADDICT (been there, done it)
11. Wants kids!
I think that about does it. I don't think I could be too much more specific than that. Now, I know there is a lot going on in the world and that you are extremely busy, so if you wouldn't mind sending an angel to maybe help out here...that would be wonderful. Thank you Lord...in Jesus name I pray...Amen."
Now...about 3-4 months pass and I have pretty much forgotten the conversation/prayer. I find this thing on the internet that helps you meet people. I went on about four dates with four different men I had met thru the site and was about to say forget it. Every one of them had lied about something and I had had enough. I was about to delete my profile when I got a response from Erik who's comment on my profile and what I wanted out of life was "umm...pretty much the same here". So, we started talking and met about two weeks or so later. After getting to know each other and falling in love, we got married four months later. It wasn't until a few months after we met that I was stopped in my tracks one day with the realization that God had followed my list and answered my prayer. Just a little differently than expected. My husband as follows:
1. Excellent sense of humor!
2. I consider him handsome...his nose just does something to me...gives me tingles when I look at it.
3. Very intelligent, but not so much so that I look like an idiot.
4. Build...well...he was definitely as big as Moose from the Archies. Weight was just shifted a little differently.
5. Ex-semi-pro hockey player.
6. NORWEGIAN (born to a norwegian father and norwegian/swedish mother in Oslo, Norway)
7. Likes pretty much all music, tolerates country.
8. Likes animals (except for my cat Jessie...whole story by itself).
9. Likes same types of movies and books...same interests in camping and so forth.
10.Never did drugs and is a social drinker.
11. Wanted kids.
When I say that God has a sense of humor...I remember this. Especially #'s 5 and 6. Erik played semi-pro hockey most of his life and his body has paid for it. He is Norwegian but doesn't speak the language. Number 11...we both wanted kids, but it ended up not working out for us. We figure there is a reason we weren't meant to have children. We don't know the reason, but God does. Erik isn't perfect and I wasn't asking for perfection. God answered my prayer with what I needed...not just what I wanted.
I love you honey and I thank God every day for bringing you into my life.